[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature Request: Copy Locations

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Jan 27 11:16:56 EST 2010

Just a quick suggestion to put it out there in regards to Copy Locations in Evergreen.

First, there's some great flexibility with copy locations management in Evergreen. As a result of our "phase II" migration, we've got a number of cleanups, harmonization, and re-labelling to do with our various shelf locations, and Evergreen allows us to do a lot of cleanup quickly and easily via SQL updates following any instructions we get from our our cataloguers & reference staff.

We've noticed two practices: some branches prefer to long descriptive labels in cataloguing while others prefer short codes. For the client, however, you obviously want to display a more discriptive label for the copy location (i.e. codes aren't usually meaningful to the user).

Two new features we'd find helpful:

1. Provide both a shortname (code) and descriptive label field for copy locations. OPAC display then could default to descriptive label (and descriptive label would default to shortname if label is not present).

2. Provide "translate" functionality so that copy locations can be displayed in multiple languages for shops like ours that work in bilingual settings, etc.

My colleague Warren reports that he's tweaked our OPAC to "look-up" and display descriptive labels for those branches that use shortcodes for copy locations, but ideally this would be an in-database solution in the longer term. Alternately, for 1), maybe we just have to require that our cataloguers just find some middle ground between using shorter labels that are sufficiently descriptive, etc.

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan