[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Encode.pm problems with special characters

Daniël Kollmer dko at iisg.nl
Tue Jun 1 06:48:34 EDT 2010

Hello everyone

It has become apparent to us that we have a problem in our Evergreen installation, or actually the system Evergreen runs on.
The symptom is as follows: Once you try to create MARC records with special characters (diacrites, other lettertypes) it does not work and ends up yielding the following error message: z3950: bad XML : Cannot decode string with wide characters at /usr/lib/perl/5.8/Encode.pm line 166

This does not seem to be a problem with Evergreen in general, because if we run the same Evergreen version off of one of your supplied virtual images, that works properly.

Now my question is, what am I missing?

We are running Evergreen on a self installed ubuntu hardy platform, and the Makefile.install (make -f Open-ILS/src/extras/Makefile.install <distribution>) procedure has worked properly, so I would assume all dependencies are fulfilled. Still it is obvious I am missing something in the UTF8 encoding department. I wonder whether anyone of you might know what it could be. Is it some PERL module out of CPAN, a UTF8 codepage that is missing on the system or something completely different.

Any pointers are appreciated

Thank's in advance

--
Daniel Kollmer

Systeembeheer
Internationaal Instituut Sociale Geschiedenis
System Administration
International Institute for Social History

Email: dko at iisg.nl
Tel: +31 20 8500 416
Fax: + 31 20 6654181

75 jaar IISG: 1935-2010