[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Redhat/Centos patch forMakefile.install

Daniël Kollmer dko at iisg.nl
Tue Mar 2 10:38:43 EST 2010

Great thing Lee

I am going to build an Evergreen production platform based on CentOS and I was already coming to terms with the fact that it will mean some optimization of the existing Makefile.install. Obviously you saved me from that work. I will soon put it to the test when the time comes (within march)

As for the platform argument. Apart from government institutes recoiling from Ubuntu as if it meant that you are going to be dealing with djembe playing hippies in your ICT department soon, there are some real pragmatic reasons too. Some hardware suppliers - for example - guarantee support only if you are using SUSE or RedHat. Of course they can't tell the difference between CentOS and RHEL, but when their diagnostic binaries don't run on your machine due to slight differences in file structures and library versions, they will notice.

I think that opening up Evergreen for the RHEL/CentOS user community will make it much more desirable for many potential customers.

Again, thanks for the contribution Lee.

Daniel Kollmer

System Administration

International Institute for Social History - Amsterdam