[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SSL certificates

Anoop Atre anoop.atre at mnsu.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:40:15 EST 2010

Benjamin
We just started using StartSSL since we needed to generate certificates
for many of our consortium members.

 https://www.startssl.com/?app=39

 https://www.startssl.com/?app=25

We went with the "StartSSL Verified" option which allows us to generate
unlimited and wildcard certificates within domains that we control. One
of the requirements for this was to provide personal information to the
company to confirm identity, some people might balk at this request
since the company is based in Israel.

I was a bit skeptical in the beginning as was our sys admin but we have
been pleasantly surprised with how well the company and the system work.

One issue we noticed was that they are not in root certificate list for
Opera (they are in Firefox and IE) so a warning message pops up for
Opera users. We expect/hope they will be included in the next release.

If you just need a single certificate they do have a free one available
but we haven't tried it out.

 https://www.startssl.com/?app=25#90

Verisign wanted to charge us about $8000 for what we needed and StartSSL
cost us about $40 (the price has gone up to $50 now).

Hope this helps.

Benjamin Shum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're in the process of evaluating different SSL certificate providers to get one for our Evergreen server.  What sort of providers do other Evergreen libraries currently utilize for SSL?  Does anyone have any specific recommendations or negative experience with any particular service?  What sort of pitfalls or features should we be careful to observe when selecting an SSL certificate provider?
>
> Thanks for any feedback offered.
>
> Benjamin Shum
> Open Source Software Coordinator
> Bibliomation, Inc.
> 32 Crest Road
> Middlebury, CT 06762
> 203-577-4070 ext. 113

Anoop Atre
IS Developer & Integrator, MnPALS
PH: 507.389.5060
OF: 3022 Memorial Library (Office-ML 3022)
--
"Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden"
 ~ Rosa Luxemburg