[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Upgrade scripts mention non-existent objects; expected?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:04:07 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM, John Craig
<jc-mailinglist at alphagconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm running into a series of issues trying to upgrade 1.4 DBs to current
> (1.6.0.3). In particular, I'm finding objects referenced in the upgrades
> that never seem to be built by the schemas (at least not directly). Are
> these problems that need to be solved or are they just some odd left-over
> things:
>
> Evergreen-ILS-1.4.0.7/Open-ILS/src/sql/pg/
> 1.4.0.5-1.6.0.0-upgrade-db.sql
> o    alters the table auditor.action_hold_request_history; no such table in
> the database.
>     It appears these tables are created in an unusual fashion (via a call to
> the auditor.create_auditor function), but there does not seem to be a call
> for anything relating to hold requests (let alone that actual table name).
>
> o   The function tmp_populate_p_b_bt
>     inserts into money.materialized_payment_by_billing_type
>     Cannot find the DDL for this table either.
>
> o  Changes the columns config.circ_matrix_matchpoint.duration_rule,
> recurring_fine_rule, max_fine_rule to NOT NULL
>     Trouble is, a 1.4 DB seems to operate just fine with only the data put
> there by 950.data.seed-values.sql (in which all those columns are null)
>
> Any of these matter particularly?

They're all after the COMMIT because they need to fail without killing
the main upgrade transaction.  Each is there to handle cases that are
known to exist on production instances of Evergreen but are not part
of the stock schema.

As a rule, anything outside of an explicit transaction in a db upgrade
script is safe to fail.