[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Auto-generate Barcodes - Use case, possible patch

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Mar 24 15:01:02 EDT 2010

> So, the questions are:
>
> 1) Do we want this as a feature, or is there a more forward-thinking solution out there?
>
> 2) Do we like this auto-generation format, or should we go with something else?
>
> 3) Are there necessary enhancements for the proposed trigger code?

No answers here, but I wanted to point out how we're doing some
auto-generated barcodes now in trunk:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/15765

The main use case here is to take the completely generated placeholder
barcodes from Acquisitions, and replace them with generated but real
barcodes (optionally with check digits) in a batch manner.  It works
by staff entering the initial barcode for the sequence.  Probably not
useful in your case, but I just wanted to point it out.

With the migration work I used to do, if a holding didn't have a
barcode for some reason and I wanted to load it anyway, I'd include
the asset.copy.id in the generated barcode to help ensure uniqueness.

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference!
It is being held April 20 - 23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and
Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
http://www.evergreen2010.org/