[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Service Watchdog

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:12:46 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

A number of Evergreen users utilize Nagios in monitoring Evergreen
services.  A recent presentation/training I gave shows some details,
and is available at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/ESI-Examples/trunk/docs/Presentations/Massachusetts%20Library%20Network%20Cooperative%20-%20May%202010/2.00_MassLNC_Training_May_2010%20Day_2.pdf
starting at page 4

For clark-kent.pl (as well as the hold targeter and fine generator),
we have a "check-lockfile.sh" script we often use - it can be found at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/ESI-Examples/sys/lib/nagios-plugins.
 In the case of clark-kent.pl - something that will often run
continuously - Nagios has a standard plugin to check processes.

For individual Evergreen services, a colleague recently scripted a
utilization check mechanism - it can be found at
http://esilibrary.com/~ldickens/eg-stats/.  This will log via syslog,
and adding a Nagios script to the syslog server can generate an alert
under certain conditions (usually high utilization or 0 running
processes).

Hope this helps!

--Don McMorris, Operations Manager
Equinox Software Inc