[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Serials Schema Proposal - Further De-emphasis of MARC as Record Format

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 16:41:56 EDT 2010

Hi Mike

the following continues comments by my colleague Marjolein Kremer +
team to this thread here and to the related one that  Dan Wells
posted on the General List (both by Marjolein on May 27):

1) the IISH will be migrating from the INFOR Advance ILS to
Evergreen, works closely with the Conifer consortium and like they
did will migrate hundreds of thousands of Bibliographic - full MFHD
record(s) combinations to Evergreen.

Call them "legacy MFHD data" if you wish but reason for IISH to
choose Evergreen over other contenders was the fact that Conifer's
work on MFHD made it possible to read in MFHD records and then
(capital letters !) keep and maintain these in MARC as well. In other
words: would  we have to export again from Evergreen, we would have
exact MFHD copies of what we put in including possible edits + of-
course the newly added MFHD records. No data lock-in by Evergreen. No
losses.

I am trying to figure out from this Serials Schema Proposal
discussion if  that original "always keep the legacy MFHD data fully
available"  idea is getting abandoned - but at least your position
Mike seems to keep allowing "legacy MFHD records" and  they sit as
MARC column in the SRE and can be edited, added to and exported ? [1]
And this would be your Class 1 scenario and cover what Marjolein
described on this list as
"..
2.	 Periodicals we receive in bulk parts. They arrive at the
Institute with a collection of books, archive, photos etc. We have
around 100.000 serial records in the database These periodicals do not
have to be linked with all the serial management data, they only need a
852 (call number) and a 866 (textual holding).
.."

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) and your Class 2 scenario would cover the other type of Serials
Marjolein described:
"..
1.	Subscriptions. We have about 1500 subscriptions  in our present
Serial Module  (Advance ILS  and migrating to Evergreen later this
year), in which we control the predictions, receiving, claiming and so
on. We would like to continue this.
.."

Correct ?

Here we would like the imported MDHD record to be be interpreted and
available for Evergreen's new  Serials Management functionalities but
expect an Export from Evergreen to consider both the originally
imported MFHD record(s) and any of the changes recorded in separate
tables outside the MFHD record.

Does that makes sense ?

Thanks, Repke de Vries, IISH, Amsterdam

[1] what Dan Wells coined the "conservative approach" on the General
List recently and Marjolein / IISH also replied to

Op 28-mei-2010, om 2:13 heeft Mike Rylander het volgende geschreven: