[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Organizing bugs for Evergreen 2.0

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Nov 1 10:04:31 EDT 2010

Spurred by James Fournie's work on organizing and triaging Evergreen
bugs, I've been trying to open & target bugs for specific milestones to
help organize my own 2.0 work. You can see what's going on at
https://launchpad.net/evergreen/2.0; the next milestone is beta1 at Nov.
2, 2010 (although that's subject to being pushed out to make room for
another alpha).

The process is relatively simple; open a bug as normal, but then when
the bug is triaged and you pick it up (click on "Assigned to:
Unassigned" and "Assign Me" (or somebody else) to work on it, assign a
milestone release that will contain a fix for that bug.

This gives us a quick snapshot of the bugs that should be fixed by a
given release, and (assuming we had hordes of testers) should provide a
simple means for testers to then verify that the reported bug has been
fixed in the given release. Having an "assigned" column also helps
coordinate who is working on what.

We can see right now that there are 74 non-wishlist bugs with nobody
assigned to work on them: http://ur1.ca/28lmu ; if we want to encourage
the use of the bug reporting interface, we need to follow through on the
other side of the bug reporting process! (On the bright side, there are
52 bug reports that have been closed, so we are following through to a
certain extent).