[OPEN-ILS-DEV] EG 2.0 alpha4 problem with MARC defaults in Add MFHD Record

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 10:35:26 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 11:03:37PM -0400, Mike Rylander wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:29:07PM +0100, Repke de Vries wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> > Agreed. Just to explain what's going on under the covers is that the
>> > MFHD record is created with an auto-generated TCN (001), then when the
>> > record is inserted into the database the update trigger runs and the 001
>> > gets replaced with the record ID and the old 001 gets pushed into the
>> > 035.
>> >
>> > I can't guarantee that we'll be able to fix this before the 2.0 release.
>> > It would be great, though, if you could at least create a bug for this
>> > so that we can at least track it.
>> >

>> Just a thought on implementation ... since the goal is to detect when
>> the record is brand new, as opposed to updated, perhaps we just need
>> to test whether create_date and edit_date are the same and if so we
>> can skip the 035 dance.
>>

> Hmm. I got to the point of implementing this, then realized that there's
> currently not a good way (that my sleep-deprived brain can think of, at
> least) for the trigger to distinguish between a new record that was
> imported via Z39.50 (where you would _want_ to push the 001/003 into the
> 035) and a new record that was created from scratch (where you would
> want to just overwrite the 001/003 without creating a 035).
>
> Any further thoughts, Mike? Given MARC templates, I don't think we can
> really cheat with any magic values for the 003. Meh.

Not magic values, but certainly the lack of values, eh?  I propose the
following rule:

 ** If you want your from-scratch records to /not/ get an 035, do not
put an 001/003 in the template.  On the other hand, if you /do/ want a
"magic" 035 marker that says, "this record was built from scratch,"
then you /should/ add some locally designed 001/003 combo to the
template, knowing that it will be pushed into 035.

Then we just do the 035 dance if there is an 001/003 combo to move.
Would that be acceptable?