[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposed modification to 1.6.0.4-1.6.1.0-upgrade-db.sql

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:34:57 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Peters, Michael <MRPeters at library.in.gov>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > In working through the process of updating a 1.6.0.0 test server to 2.0
>> > Alpha 5 I ran across a problem with this particular upgrade.  It was
>> > impossible for me to excute line 531 of the old script:
>> >
>> > ALTER TABLE acq.purchase_order ADD COLUMN name TEXT NOT NULL;
>> >
>> > I modified line 531 to first give the name column an empty string for a
>> > name, then later added the “NOT NULL” constraint on this column via the
>> > new
>> > line 532.
>> >

>> Because the acq schema is entirely non-authoritative until 2.0, I
>> suggest we simply delete any data from this table (and others that may
>> suffer similar issues) during upgrade.
>>
>> Thoughts, folks?
>>

> Even if the data is "premature", I don't see the point of destroying it when
> a workaround exists.

At this point we have two (essentially) diametrically opposed opinions
on the table:
 * Try to allow data entered into a demo feature to propagate into a
significantly different (in layout and interpretation) schema -- the
hope is that the data will be semantically correct and useful.
 * Wash our hands of demo data in an attempt to reduce pain down the
road caused by data was created under assumptions that don't hold
today.

Whatever consensus is arrived at is fine by me, but there will need to
be a good bit more work put into confirming old data will 1) convert
and 2) retain proper semantics if we go with the former.  At a glance,
acq.provider_contact will need similar treatment as it got a NOT NULL
field without a default as well.  There may be more to do in the
schema, and I haven't evaluated (and wouldn't be the best to do so)
the semantic changes.

Folks?