[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Rewrite rules in eg_vhost.conf (was: apache skinenvironment variable)

Dawn Dale ddale at georgialibraries.org
Tue Nov 30 01:27:55 EST 2010

¡
via BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net>
Sender: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 00:18:53
To: Evergreen Development Discussion List<open-ils-dev at list.georgialibraries.org>
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Rewrite rules in eg_vhost.conf (was: apache skin
 environment variable)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:39:14PM -0500, Thomas Berezansky wrote:
> I could see slightly more processing for (I think) significant gain,
> but I am more concerned with a number of other details, mostly in
> the example eg_vhost.conf file (which I think you based your block
> on).
>
> First, the [L] there is "last", as in "stop processing rewrites". If
> it were being used in a valid manner it would break all following
> rewrites, and the example file has it all over the place. If you
> intend for it to be the last rule, it should be in the first set of
> [] with the E= portion, like this:
>
> [E=skinname:%1,L]
>
> With it in a second [] it will (currently) be ignored by the engine.
> This is done correctly and incorrectly throughout the example file,
> and the incorrect ones probably shouldn't be thinking about doing it
> anyway.

Indeed, you are correct.

> Second, the "RewriteRule - -" portion will only ever match if there
> is a - in the URL (the second - being "no substitution" and
> correct). While this generally holds true in our case (the locale in
> xx-YY form is dumped in there normally) I don't think that it should
> be relied on. A better form would be "RewriteRule . -" or
> "RewriteRule .* -".

Correct again.

I've committed revision 18868 to trunk to try cleaning up eg_vhost.conf
from the accumulated cruft you pointed out, much of which was mine.
Thanks for raising these points! I also removed the duplicate
"RewriteEngine On" statements and combined some of the environment
variable setting statements.

Hopefully the updated eg_vhost.conf isn't quite as misleading for others.