[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Making Evergreen a bit more social

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Oct 12 17:55:46 EDT 2010

Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> writes:

> The plan is to make all of the information on the public user
> profile page subject to the user's preferences; if they don't want
> to share anything, they shouldn't have to. This would be controlled
> by user settings that I have yet to add :)

The default for everything should probably be "only share this
information with library staff".

Also, when you say "public", do you mean available to all logged-in
library patrons, or to the world?  I think that's an important
distinction to make.  While some patrons wouldn't mind sharing (at
least some of) their information with the world, there are probably
others who would be more comfortable only sharing it with library
patrons (or, even, only patrons with the same home branch, in the case
of multi-branch systems).

>   * Adding "my other account" links and generating the appropriate XFN
>     notation, leading to the possibility of automatically piping your
>     library activity feed to Buzz or other Activity Stream consumers.

What, you mean like automatically microblog the title of every book I
check out on Twitter, with a #librariesrock hashtag?

Extra bonus points if you can figure out a meaningful and potentially
useful way to connect with Lang-8.

>   * Figuring out how to match bibs between systems so that once
>     everybody has Activity Streams for their bibs, we can start to
>     aggregate reviews / ratings / tags between library systems

For anything with an ISBN, you can just match based on that.

Otherwise, I think the question of what constitutes the "same" bib is
probably AI-complete (and may not be entirely well-defined, to boot).

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library