[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Building/installing Everygreen (Open ILS) staff client under CentOS 5

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 1 11:37:29 EDT 2010

Hi Robert,

I can address some of this.

> 1) Do I have to build and install OpenSRF in order to build *only* the
> staff client?  If so, why?  The only dependency the the configure file
> for Everygreen checks for that *seems* to be needed for the staff client
> is OpenSRF, and it seems it just wants to copy some JavaScript code
> over. Is there some way to avoid having to build and install OpenSRF,
> *just to build* the staff client?

I haven't tried it in a while, but there used to be a make target for
OpenSRF for installing just the Javascript libs.  Does anyone know if
this is still the case?  I didn't see any just skimming.  With the
staff client Makefile, you can also override the OPENSRF_JSLIBS
variable to point to those libs.

> 2) Do I have to build Everygreen (OpenILS) itself in order to build the
> staff client?  I hope not.

Assuming the OpenSRF javascript libs are installed, you could do
something similar to this to avoid building all of Evergreen:

wget http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-1.6.0.4.tar.gz
tar xvf Evergreen-ILS-1.6.0.4.tar.gz
cd Evergreen-ILS-1.6.0.4/
./configure --disable-core --disable-web --disable-reporter
cd Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/
make STAFF_CLIENT_BUILD_ID=rel_1_6_0_4 build
rm -rf build/server/

It used to be easier before the Makefile was taken over by autotools.
*laments*  :)

> 3) Exactly *why* isn't there a "built" version of the *staff client for
> Linux available for download?

We can start providing one.  In the past it's just been developers
using Linux clients.  In trunk, the build situation for the staff
client has been much improved thanks to Thomas Berezansky.  We can
easily build Windows clients cross-compiled from Linux environments,
as well as Firefox extensions  and generic XPI files, and Linux
clients (complete with bundled xulrunner runtimes).  So we'll
eventually be pushing out all of those as a matter of course, though
any given library's support staff may wish to restrict what they
support.

--
Jason Etheridge