[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Modifications to Circ Matrix Matchpoint checking

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Tue Sep 7 16:29:16 EDT 2010

My previous email included a patch that was, unfortunately, just the
tip of the iceberg, so to speak. I have since figured out a lot of
what needs to be done to do this on the backend.

However, in looking at what needs to be done, I came up with several
questions as to how to handle things.

Currently the circulation flag, duration rule, recurring fine rule,
and max fine rule are on my list of things to have "fall through".

I am unsure as to whether or not to have the total copy hold ratio or
the available copy hold ratio values fall through or not. They are not
"endpoint" data, but at the same time may be considered to be an
important part of the checks.

In that regard, I see three logical options:
1 - Don't have them fall through. If they aren't set on the first
matchpoint found, they aren't set.
2 - Have them fall through until we run out of rules or they are
filled, like the four values above.
3 - Have them fall through, but only until we have filled the other
four values. Once the other four values are filled we officially stop
checking them.

I am partial to 1 or 3 in this case.

The other main issue I am seeing right now is the circ mod test. In
particular, the current system uses the matchpoint ID for the check.
As my changes make it so that there is more than one matchpoint ID
possibly involved there are several options:

1 - Negate the check when there is more than one matchpoint used in
the final result
2 - Use only the first matchpoint found for the check
3 - Have it use all matchpoints that were considered for the check
(were valid and before we filled in our values)
4 - Have it use all matchpoints that contributed to the check (were
valid, before we filled in our values, AND set at least one value)

I am partial to 3 in this case, as that would allow for creating a
matchpoint that would be specifically for triggering that limit,
without changing any of the resulting rules.

Any thoughts?

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium