[OPEN-ILS-DEV] git.evergreen-ils.org

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Apr 19 12:17:36 EDT 2011

Hi,

Making the assumption that we'll adopt Git, here's my proposal on how to do some of the mechanics:

[1] Set up, on an existing community server or a new one, a git.evergreen-ils.org domain running git, gitweb, and git-daemon.  Besides the main "official" Evergreen and OpenSRF repositories, this could store Evergreen and OpenSRF trees published by anybody.  I also propose that we invite DIG to move their documentation repository here, or at least mirror it.

[2] Use Gitolite <https://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite> to manage access to the repositories.  Gitolite makes it straightforward to manage both the repositories and set up access controls; in particular, it would allow us to do things like give non-committer developers permission to push to topic branches but not master.  I'm familiar with Gitolite, and IIRC, so is Thomas Berezansky.

Note that we'd need public SSH keys from all committers to give them access to push to the new Git repos.

The initial main Evergreen and OpenSRF repositories would be seeded by pushing branches and tags from git-svn clones.  This should be seamless to current git-svn users; after the switch, they would just need to tweak the remotes they point to.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton