[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to the MARC21 specification

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Dec 2 13:47:26 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Whalen, Liam
<Liam.Whalen at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:
> I am making some modifications to 035 tags in our records, and if I do
> not have the Global Flag (Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to the
> MARC21 specification) turned off, Evergreen will add a second 035 entry
> to my record when I do my SQL update to change the 035 tags.  This is
> not an issue, we can turn off the flag while these updates are
> proceeding.
>
> However, if we turn the flag back on after the updates are complete will
> Evergreen try to modify these records again when they are interacted
> with at a later date?
>
> Currently this is what an 035 looks like in our records.
>
> 035 $a (NRCAN-RNCAN)########
>
> (where ####### is our bib id).
>
> I am updating it to look like this:
>
> 035 $a (CaOOM)#######.
>
> I'm changing NRCAN-RNCAN to our various ILL codes.  However when I do
> the SQL update with the previously mentioned Global Flag enabled, I get
> a second 035 entry that looks like this:
>
> 035 $a ()########.
>
> I have disabled the flag, proceeded with updating a single record, then
> enabled the flag and edited the record manually (I have manually edited
> the record two times-- once in an unrelated field and once in the 035
> field) to see if the 035 $a () ####### entry would be added after
> manually editing the MARC.  The empty 035 was not added, but I do not
> understand how the 'Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to the MARC21
> specification' Global Flag operates, so I'm wondering if anyone can see
> any dangers in turning off the flag, doing the update, then turning the
> flag back on again?

What are the values of the 001 and 003 in the record before you apply
the update? How are you making the SQL update you're mentioning? Also,
what version of Evergreen are you on? There have been a number of
updates to the maintain_control_numbers() database function to address
various bugs.

"\df+ maintain_control_numbers" will show you the code underlying the
function, if you want to see what you have and compare to the latest
version.