[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to theMARC21 specification

Whalen, Liam Liam.Whalen at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Dec 5 16:41:11 EST 2011

I am no longer getting the empty Organizational MARC code.  I'm not sure why that was happening.  I guess the few records I tested it on must have been missing an 003 before I did my updates.

> > I have disabled the flag, proceeded with updating a single record,
> > then enabled the flag and edited the record manually (I
> have manually
> > edited the record two times-- once in an unrelated field
> and once in
> > the 035
> > field) to see if the 035 $a () ####### entry would be added after
> > manually editing the MARC.  The empty 035 was not added,
> but I do not
> > understand how the 'Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to
> the MARC21
> > specification' Global Flag operates, so I'm wondering if anyone can
> > see any dangers in turning off the flag, doing the update, then
> > turning the flag back on again?

I looks to me like Maintain Control numbers 'backups' old 001 and 003 data, via the 035 field, in the case either or both of 001 and 003 are changed by an SQL UPDATE command.  Is that correct?  Being relatively new to MARC I'm not sure I understand the use of the 035 field.  Is 035 meant to provide a way to access a record via another organization's catalogues?

Liam