[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Attention Ubuntu Users

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Wed Dec 7 16:21:42 EST 2011

Hi,

I was going to save this message for after I had everything working,
but I think a little advance notice is in order.

I am working on getting OpenSRF and Evergreen working on Ubuntu 12.04
(Precise Pangolin). I'm working from a virtual machine installed with
the alpha1 iso.

Presently, OpenSRF installs and works with only minimal changes to
src/extras/Makefile.install. You can get these changes from
git://git.evergreen-ils.org/working/OpenSRF.git. They are in the
collab/dyrcona/precise_pangolin branch.

As I begin working on Evergreen, I see that
Open-ILS/src/extras/Makefile.install is a bit of a mess when it comes
to Ubuntu targets. The generic-ubuntu target, for instance is not
actually a generic target. It does things that only certain Ubuntu
releases need in addition to the actually generic bits.

I will be rewriting the Ubuntu targets rather heavily. As a result, I
suggest that we not attempt to backport installation support for
Ubuntu 12.04 to any previous release of Evergreen (2.0 or 2.1). This
should strictly be for 2.2+.

Also, anyone who'd be willing to test these changes on 12.04 and/or
10.04 would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson