[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Google Summer of Code 2011 application?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Feb 23 09:46:46 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 03:00:20PM -0700, John Craig wrote:
> I'd be willing to help with this, in theory (right Ben?). I have a
> student who was planning to work with me this summer anyway.
>
> My main problem is I don't have a lot of time to work on an application
> (next few weeks are booked pretty solid). I also have to admit to a
> fair degree of ignorance on a lot of the topics that are pretty
> fundamental to EV, but if Dan will serve as a secondary resource, I'd
> give it a shot.

This is a kind offer, John, but if I understand the Google Summer of
Code program correctly, mentors should be capable developers who have
committed or contributed a significant amount of code to the project,
who can provide guidance in the norms and processes for the community,
and who can be the first point of contact for most of the students'
questions. And the development community at large needs to be supportive
of the mentoring program.

In short, if there's no interest or capacity from the other core
committers, then we probably shouldn't bother submitting an application.
I think that would be a shame - with students at Purdue currently
working on projects like an Android client for Evergreen, there are
potential candidates for the program and potential for long term returns
on our investment of mentoring time - but it's not something I can pull
off by myself.