[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bug Targeting Practices?

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Wed Jan 12 08:10:28 EST 2011

Quoting Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org>:

> These questions are aimed mostly for Jason, our head bug wrangler, but I
> would appreciate any other suggestions for best practices when helping
> with bug management on Launchpad.
>
> How do we decide which bugs we target to different milestones?  Is that
> action designed to put a face on bugs that require fixing prior to the
> release we target?  Or that the bug is planned and assigned to be fixed
> by that target milestone?

Anything that we (and by "we" I mean the community of developers)
think is a stopper for a given release ought to be targeted to that
release milestone. Typically, these end up being the next upcoming
release. I'd say that answers both your second and third question with
a yes. They don't seem mutually exclusive goals to me.

> I can see we have quite a few bugs queued with no milestone action and
> that do not seem have been adjusted recently.  If still confirmed as
> unfixed and not marked as wishlist items, should we aim to target them
> to a new milestone if they have not been fixed yet?  Or just leave as is
> and only direct our attention to apply targets for new bugs first?

The old, confirmed bugs need some more attention. I have been remiss
in my bug wrangler duties since the holidays. Seems like everyone is
clamoring for more of my time during the day, lately. I think we
should at a minimum target these bugs at a branch if they aren't
already.

The new bugs deserve the same attention.

> Also, what do we do in situations where a bug has been confirmed to
> apply for both 1.6.1.x and 2.0?  Should we target for the most recent
> milestone (i.e. 2.0?) or nominate the bug to apply to multiple branches
> and await release team confirmation?

I'd say yes to targeting for multiple branches.

> Let me know what we should be doing or if I should bring these questions
> up at a dev meeting / bug wrangling day in the future.

The list is a good place to have this discussion. We should have more
discussion of bug-handling procedures because I don't think there is
much in the way of procedure right now. The release check list should
help and that discussion (when it happens) should help shed some light
on how we should handle bugs.

Jason