[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Planning for Evergreen development, post 2.0

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 18 10:28:17 EST 2011

Hi,

On Jan 7, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> So here goes with some starter ideas:
[snip]

And another one following a discussion on #evergreen:

  * Either remove permission.perm_list.id or let it float

    A fair amount of the 1.6 to 2.0 upgrade script concerns itself
    with attempting to keep ppl IDs consistent across Evergreen
    installations, but in practice I've observed that EG databases
    that have been upgraded from 1.2 all the way through to 1.6.x or
    2.0 don't manage to achieve consistency with a freshly-installed
    database.

    Since ppl.code is already a unique key and Evergreen code always uses the permission
    code to refer to the permission, I propose either removing ppl.id and making
    ppl.code be the primary key or retaining ppl.id but just letting it be
    assigned by the sequence.  Either way, it would be necessary to update
    how translations of ppl descriptions are referred to.

    Development impact: should be small, but removes a source of irritation
    during upgrades.

    User impact: should be transparent to the user

Similarly, I think we could avoid a bit of pain by letting config.metabib_field.id float and using (field_class, name) to refer to stock index definitions in seed and upgrade scripts.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton