[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC (was: Planning for Evergreen development, post 2.0)

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Thu Jan 20 09:55:59 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 03:44:32PM -0500, Bill Erickson wrote:
>
> > >    User impact: Changed user interface means some relearning. Speed
> > >    boost should be significant.
> > >

> > I've been beating my head against the OPAC a lot lately and it's probably
> > created some obvious bias ;)  This would be a big project, of course.
>  There
> > is quite a bit of functionality in the OPAC (more than I can remember,
> > sometimes).  In my opinion, though, such a change, if done right, would
> be a
> > major victory for Evergreen and one of the most important requirements
> for
> > wider adoption of the software.
>
> An implementation thought, to avoid a period of destabilization, would
> be to replace the SlimPAC with the TT2-based OPAC. (The SlimPAC could
> still live at the same URLs as before to satisfy those hordes of people
> who bookmarked them, of course). Then, when the appropriate amount of
> functionality has been developed in the TT2-based OPAC, it could replace
> the main OPAC (and the need for a separate "Basic Catalogue" should have
> disappeared).
>
> I'm already dreading trying to map the dynamic OPAC URLs to a TT2-based
> OPAC (we promised they were persistent URLs, right?), but I am looking
> forward to cleaning up the URL structure. You had mentioned in IRC that
> you were already working on a prototype, is this something you can
> share?

Hi Dan,

I make no promise of stability, but there is some proof of concept code
running on my dev server:

http://dev198.esilibrary.com/eg/opac/home

The MARC data consists largely of records related to music, plus the
Gutenberg records.  You can log in with berick/demo123.

Code is here:

http://git.esilibrary.com/?p=evergreen-equinox.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/opac-tt-poc

My goal is to test ease/speed of development and performance.  So far, I'm
pleased on both fronts.

-b

--
Bill Erickson