[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC (was: Planning for Evergreen development, post 2.0)

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Thu Jan 20 12:20:30 EST 2011

Has there been much momentum in the direction of making the OPAC more of a modular piece?  I'm just wondering if since there is talk of redevelopment if there might be an effort towards developing an API for plug-and-play OPAC/discovery layer functionality?  Basically, I'm wondering if making it possible/easy to plug in pieces like VUfind or Blacklight would be a benefit that could come out of a redesign effort.  I'm not a developer, so I'm not aware of how complex that would be.

That question aside, I think an optimized built-in OPAC would be a big improvement.

Chris Sharp
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150