[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Questions about serials holdings not showing in OPAC

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:41:28 EDT 2011

Hello John,

There are two places where one can put textual holding information and have it show up in the OPAC.  The first, as suggested by Dan Scott in IRC, is by using fields 86[678] in a MFHD record in the serial.record_entry table's 'marc' column.  This is tried-and-true, and has been in use at several sites (including my own) for several years.  If textual holdings are your primary focus, this is a good solution.

The second place where textual holdings can come from are the *_summary tables you have currently populated.  These textual_holdings columns were initially designed as a simple way supplement any generated holdings in the absence of a MFHD record.  Later on, the 'show_generated' option was added at the DB-level for finer-grained control of the display, but this option is not actually implemented (and *should* not be showing up in any of the serials interfaces at this point).  In your situation, since the generated_coverage columns are blank, this only difference would be one of labeling in any case.

I have tested something similar to the setup you have described, and so far my holdings are showing up as expected.  Because these summaries are designed to work in conjunction with the in-DB serials model, you do need to have at least a barebones completed structure of Bib record->Subscription->Distribution->Summary, as each provides a piece of the puzzle (i.e. which records to display holdings for, then which library the holdings belong to).

Does that help?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Wells, Library Programmer Analyst dbw2 at calvin.edu