[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Problem installing evergreen

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Jul 20 15:37:00 EDT 2011

Hi Wolf:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 02:52:16PM -0400, Wolf Halton wrote:
> I am at the end of the how-to and here is my issue srfsh cannot bootstrap
> the client
> The following is a restart of everything following the suggestion at
> http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2011-May/004883.html
>
> It seems to be failing to find something related to the python
> implementation
>
> This is Ubuntu 10.4lts, python 2.6

Sounds like you passed --enable-python to the configure script; that's
not necessary for Evergreen so I would recommend not doing that unless
you're developing some new services in Python for OpenSRF. No need to
add to setup headaches :)

The README for OpenSRF in the rel_2_0 branch contains the following
section that addresses the problem into which you are running:

Troubleshooting note for Python users:

If you are running a Python client and trying to connect to OpenSRF
running on localhost rather than a hostname that can be resolved via
DNS, you will probably receive exceptions about `dns.resolver.NXDOMAIN`.
If this happens, you need to install the `dnsmasq` package, configure it
to serve up a DNS entry for localhost, and point your local DNS resolver
to `dnsmasq`. For example, on Ubuntu you can issue the following
commands as root:

# aptitude install dnsmasq
# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart