[OPEN-ILS-DEV] "Choose a library to search" behavior in the opac

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jun 15 09:23:56 EDT 2011

Hello all,

While I can see some merits for both proposals, I am not sure they are really addressing the same problems.  I would advocate at this point for something along the lines of what Jason is proposing, and here's why.  We are currently running a hierarchy very similar to what Michele has, at least with respect to having a shared circ desk for multiple org units.  One major reason we use org units rather than locations is the ability to properly limit permissions.  Each "department" in our library is managed by a different person or group of people, and the ability to keep their powers limited to their own area is very valuable.  A second significant factor involves, as noted in Michele's original email, is the ability to set "department" specific circulation policies.  If the departments are org units, this is simple to do.  As far as know, there is no built in way to set circ policies based on shelving location.

To solve the transit issue, we are currently taking a very simple approach.  We have a script run periodically (every 15 minutes, I think) which aborts any bogus transits (defined by a hardcoded list unit pairs, A to B, A to C, etc.).  This does not solve the problem of getting the transit pop-up in the client, but that is really a pretty minor annoyance, and in a way sort of helpful, since it is very clear that the item is not part of the main collection and needs to be shelved differently.

I am not too aware of the intricacies of proximity settings or perhaps "lassos" (either of which, from my naive perspective, seem like they might be useful here), but if others weigh in and we eventually end up at a more concrete proposal, I would be willing to provide some support for this, at least with testing if not with implementation.

Thanks,
Dan