[OPEN-ILS-DEV] url checker

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Jun 28 17:47:25 EDT 2011

Hello Gislaine,

NRCan Library has one we submitted to the community a while back:

http://markmail.org/message/kgbpzgg25cm6fqcs

It will investigate 856 links and generate a CSV report that looks like this:

Record ID, Link, Error
8214000,http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/research/national/geothermal/hot_rock_map.jsp,404 Not Found
8212793,http://geopub.nrcan.gc.ca/moreinfo_e.php?id=226091,500 read timeout
8212662,http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00456535,400 Bad Request

We usually import to Excel or HTML and send the report off to our tech services that way.

It works pretty well but there's lots of room for improvement.  A few sites (e.g. Sciencedirect.com) detect the url checker and don't like "robots" so will return a "bad request" instead of something more useful, so some of the error reporting can be ignored for confirmed sites of this kind of case.

If anybody is interested in in working on improving it let us know, otherwise we'll try to find some time early this Fall to re-examine and improve the checker.

George

George Duimovich, MLIS
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan
george.duimovich at nrcan.gc.ca