[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Patron Registration Customization Patch

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Thu Mar 3 12:50:13 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Thomas Berezansky <tsbere at mvlc.org> wrote:

> Last week I uploaded a patch to launchpad for adding new org unit settings
> to the patron registration screen. These settings include:

For starters, tsbere++

> * Specific date format for date fields (instead of locale-driven)

   I'll state the obvious to prevent any possible confusion... All dates are
translated into ISO8601 before they are stored in the database, so what
we're talking about here is UI only.

As of 2.0, there are already 2 new dojo-compatible org unit settings
"format.date" and "format.time" that are meant to do what I think the format
settings in the patch do (override the locale-based format), only more
generically.  We would just need to teach AutoFieldWidget about them to get
the change into the patron reg. UI.  Unless I'm missing the point of the
patch, this would be my preference for consistency.

> * Additional required fields (beyond the default set)
> * Additional "shown" fields (shown with required, but not required)
> * New "suggested" fields (shown with required/shown fields in "show
> suggested" mode)
> * Defaulting to the suggested mode

I like this and my only concern with this part of the patch is that it (sort
of) ties org unit settings to a specific UI implementation.  It's more
philosophical
than technological, though, and I'm sure that precedent has already been
set, probably by me.

A very useful and relatively simple community follow-up project would be a
search box in the org-settings admin UI that searches the already-fetched
org settings and limits the grid to those settings that /match/i by (say)
name, label, description.

> * Regular expression validation

   Though only used once thus far (in actor.org_unit.shortname), there is an
IDL attribute "oils_obj:validate" that is designed to store field validation
regex's.  The goal is to teach AutoFieldWidget to honor these regex's for
dojo field validation.  This approach is not as flexible, of course, but it
is IMO ultimately more scalable and automate-able, assuming there is a safe,
manageable way to override parts of the IDL via DTD's.  (/me admits to being
out of touch re: IDL I18N).

> * Examples (intended for validation)

2.0 has a new table called config.idl_field_doc, which allows for local
descriptions of individual fields.  In the patron registration UI, if a
field has local documentation, a magnifying glass will appear by the field,
when clicked, it will show the local docs in a fixed div along the right of
the page.  This functionality was added largely to accomodate examples,
descriptions, etc..  You can configure docs for fields in the staff client
under Admin -> Local Admin -> Field Documentation.

-b

--
Bill Erickson