[OPEN-ILS-DEV] copies and search function

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Mar 9 09:29:17 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 03:10:55PM +0100, K. Kohls wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We searched for errors in the postgres.log, but to us it seems as there
> was nothing special.
> The metabib.title_field_entry table is filled with titles, but
> metabib.author_field_entry is empty.
>
> This could be caused by a broken conversion from bibtex to marc, but the
> author fields in the marc records are NOT empty.

Interesting. Could you attach a few of your sample MARC records?

> >Hmm. If you can't find the books using the staff client, that's a
> >problem; the staff client should be able to retrieve bibliographic
> >records even if there are no call numbers + copies attached.
> >
> We were able to find books, but only if we searched for them by Record ID.
> We did as you suggested and went the "no barcodes"-way with
> UPDATE biblio.record_entry SET source = 3 WHERE id > 0;
>
> Now we can search for titles, but only with a hack. We have to enter a
> title, select "Title" or "Keyword", click on "Choose a library to
> search" and then select our library. That we can't search for authors is
> obvious as the metabib table is empty ..

To be honest, I haven't worked with transparent copies in Evergreen 2.0
but I would be very surprised if it now required you to pick a specific
library to get search results to show up.

If you changed the entries in the actor.org_unit and actor.org_unit_type
tables and either 1) didn't rerun autogen.sh or 2) don't have the
actor.org_unit entries pointing to actor.org_unit_type entries with the
right depth in the hierarchy, that _might_ explain the problem that
you're seeing. Could you attach the output of:

SELECT id, parent_ou, ou_type, shortname, opac_visible FROM
actor.org_unit;

SELECT id, parent, name, depth, can_have_vols FROM actor.org_unit_type;

This would help us spot potential problems.