[OPEN-ILS-DEV] bug in 1.6 client if very long 856?

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Mon May 9 18:18:54 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I spent a few more minutes boiling this down today, and it looks like the problem is in the OSRF gateway itself.  This can be seen very simply by sending a fake test url to any OSRF gateway which includes the trouble sequence.  For instance: (and note: %25 in the following examples is the URL encode for '%', and I am leaving the quotes unencoded for clarity, as it seems to not matter)

http://75.101.133.94/osrf-gateway-v1?service=test&method=test&param="%251a"

successfully returns an empty payload:

{"payload":[],"status":200}

but if we change the 'a' to an 'n':

http://75.101.133.94/osrf-gateway-v1?service=test&method=test&param="%251n"

the gateway fails to return any data at all.  I tested this on a handful of Evergreen catalogs with identical results, but did find one with a slightly more useful result:

http://demo.evergreencatalog.com/osrf-gateway-v1?service=test&method=test&param="%251n"

This machine, for whatever reason, displays a stock HTTP 500:

An internal server error occurred. Please try again later.

Peeking in my Apache error logs, I finally found a useful trail to follow:

"*** %n in writable segment detected ***"

At that point I had to shelve this for now, especially not being very familiar with the OSRF code, but I am guessing someone else can find the apparently rogue printf much faster than I can in any case.

Dan