[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SIP2 Fee Payment Code

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu May 12 16:04:59 EDT 2011

Hello, all.

I am working on code to handle the SIP2 Fee Paid message (37)/response
(38) pair with Evergreen.

I have some code that basically works, that is, it can accept a 37
message from the self check, apply the payment to a patron's fees, and
return a 38 response indicating whether or not the payment was applied.

Payments are applied in a very rudimentary fashion, though if the self
check sends a transaction id that it perhaps got earlier from the
server, it will try to apply the payment to the corresponding
transaction for the patron.

The code still needs more testing and perhaps more logging. I also
need to add the ability to process credit card payments. Currently it
is hard coded to handle all payments as cash.

If anyone wants to play with it and try it on their self checks you
can get the code from the following git repository:

git://git.mvlcstaff.org/jason/ILS

You will want the SIP23738 branch. (HTTP URL should work as well for
cloning/merging.)

You will also want to get the SIPServer code from the following repository:

git://git.mvlcstaff.org/jason/SIPServer

Here, you will want the fixes branch. This branch contains fixes to
the SIPServer code from github so that checksums work properly with
clients, and so that the Fee Paid message is correctly parsed by the
server.

The above code has all been tested on a trunk installation of
Evergreen so far, but it *should* merge and work with a 2.1 or 2.0
branch, since I don't think there have been any changes to SIP in the
mean time.

I have a standing DCO, so if anyone from ESI wants to merge any of
this code into the main repository of either SIPServer or
Open-ILS/Evergreen, then feel free. It is our intention that this code
make it into the mainline repositories when it is deemed ready by the
community.

Oh, and if you do try it out, you will need to add the CREATE_PAYMENT
permission to your self check accounts.

Happy Hacking,
Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium