[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SITKA sysadmin Hello & Gentoo Packaging (Was GSOC hello)

Ben Webb bjwebb67 at googlemail.com
Tue May 17 03:53:17 EDT 2011

On 16 May 2011 20:11, Robin H. Johnson <rjohnson at sitka.bclibraries.ca> wrote:
> In terms of system maintenance, Ben's GSoC project looks really
> promising to help improve maintainability of EG deployments.

That's the plan at any rate.

> Slides: http://dev.gentoo.org/~betelgeuse/good-upstream-2010.odp
> Video (stream): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKwPeKLa4Q
> Video (download): http://video-mirror.fosdem.org/2010/devrooms/distributions/How_to_be_a_good_upstream.ogv

Thanks, this looks rather useful. I'll definitely give it a watch when
I have the time.

> Fixing build scripts: Eg ensuring makefiles respect DESTDIR, work in
> parallel, only install during the install phase, don't change system
> config files (would be blocked by the sandbox)
> [2] has the changes I made to OpenSRF-1.0.7 for packaging in compliance
> with Gentoo guidelines. I'll port it to 1.2.0 and submit it against the
> git repositories shortly.

Yeah, I noticed that the occasional lack of using DESTDIR was one of
the big problems with the Makefile script. Using the generic $(MAKE)
makes good sense too. Do you remember what the issue with using
'which' is?

These are all things that still need fixing in the current trunk, so
if you don't get round to porting/submitting it, I will.

>> I've noticed that Gentoo's dependency list have been removed from this file. I'd
>> be interested if anyone knows the reason for doing so?
> I don't know why/when it was removed, but I'd love to get it restored,
> and covering absolutely all of the packages.

Yeah, although I do wonder whether targetting Gentoo with an ebuild
(which presumeably lists dependencies) would make such a list
redundant.

Ben