[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal for a Vendors' Module

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Thu Nov 3 12:51:37 EDT 2011

Jason,

This is a more technical discussion than I can participate in, in any deep
way, but could you talk a bit more about how this module would relate to
protocols such as SIP2, SIP3 (in development), NCIP and NCIP2?

Also, I'd like to make sure everyone is aware of a UK development that
might be pertinent to this discussion.  It is the Data Communication
Framework for Libraries that is being commissioned by BIC (Book Industry
Communication).  Information and a draft (version .9) of the communication
framework is here:
http://www.bic.org.uk/e4libraries/16/INTEROPERABILITY-STANDARDS/.

In brief, the BIC DCFL represents a new set of library interoperability
standards which define "a framework for the communication of data between
self-service devices and other library terminal applications to and from
library management systems. This framework replicates and extends the range
of activities commonly conducted using 3M's open SIP.2 protocol and
additionally provides web services functionality for the exchange of
information."  I do know that one of the incentives for developing this
framework is to take advantage of the expanded possibilities associated
with RFID tags now that we have some data model standards to work with.

I'm not sure this initiative in the UK has any bearing on the particular
issue Jason is addressing but in case there was overlap and/or interest...I
wanted to make sure people were aware of it.

Lori

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
Oversight Board & Communications Committee / Evergreen
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling