[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal for a Vendors' Module

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:13:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
> Quoting Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:
>
>> Jason,
>>
>> This is a more technical discussion than I can participate in, in any deep
>> way, but could you talk a bit more about how this module would relate to
>> protocols such as SIP2, SIP3 (in development), NCIP and NCIP2?
>
> This module doesn't relate to those other protocols.
>
> We often have vendors of services that want some simple list of information
> from their customer such as a list of ISBNs of copies owned by the library,
> or in the case of Wowbrary a list of bibliographic record ids, the owning
> library's database id, and the copy's creation or active date. More often
> than not, the vendor prefers to get the information in a CSV file rather
> than XML or some more cumbersome format.
>
> None of the above protocols really address those situations, and we all
> (those of us running the ILS) end up re-implementing the wheel or borrowing
> the wheel from someone who has already implemented it for a given vendor.

Does something like
http://mtester.esilibrary.com/opac/extras/browse/marcxml-full/item-age/BR1
not fit your needs simply because it is xml?  Would adding a new
output format that is non-XML make that feed axis more useful?  If so,
that might be a lower-overhead starting point, since there would be
just one codebase to maintain.