[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Suggestions for improving Evergreen's HTML README for online readers

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Nov 7 16:59:30 EST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:12:36PM -0400, Martha Driscoll wrote:
<snip>
> I liked the "wget, un-tar, cd path/to/source" steps and miss them on
> the new HTML page.  What's the down-side of keeping that in the
> README? Taking a quick look at the phppgadmin and rt-4.0.1 README's,
> they both start by saying where the source is located and how to
> untar them. Basic steps for most people, but I don't think I've ever
> seen a README without them.  Both websites link to the plain text
> README or INSTALL on their respective githubs.

I have added the "wget / untar" steps to the README, and updated
http://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/install/README_2_1_0.html
accordingly. I didn't add a "cd path/to/source" step in this iteration;
I understand the general intention but am not sure that that's a
foolproof way of ensuring that the cp / configure / make / make install
steps are all performed in the source directory, what with all of the
su/sudo-ing going on.