[OPEN-ILS-DEV] questions about testing modifications to database and client

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Wed Nov 16 09:31:16 EST 2011

Quoting Scott Prater <sprater at gmail.com>:

> I'm working on the patron statistical category enhancements.  I made
> the changes to the database, adding a few columns and a new table, and
> I updated the install scripts to add them to the database with a fresh
> install.
>
> Question 1:
>
> Do I need to run any script(s) to update a cache of database objects
> if I make changes to the database, in order for those changes to be
> picked up in the controller and view objects?

I think you've discovered fm_IDL.xml so you seem to be headed on the
right track here. You will want to run autogen.sh on the server if you
do change fm_IDL.xml, after installing it of course.

> Question 2:
>
> So far, I've modified stat_cat_editor.js (the controller, I presume)
> and stat_cat_editor.xhtml (the view), as well as my
> locale/en-US/lang.DTD file to include some new label entities.  Am I
> missing any other pieces here, in order to connect the interface to
> the database?

If you're also adding fields to the database, you'll need to edit
fm_IDL.xml as you've discovered. You may also need to modify
Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/Storage/CDBI/config.pm.

> Question 3:
>
> Is there any developer documentation on the permissions architecture
> for Evergreen?  I can infer some things from the code;  are
> permissions set at the table level, or at the column level?

Not really. No & No.

Permissions are set at a functional level, so the permission to
checkout items for another patron gives the user permission to do that
task. This task will touch several tables in the database.

> Question 4:
>
> Is there a way to refresh the page in the xulrunner client, after I
> make a change to it on the server?

I generally quit the client and restart it, as Ben Shum mentioned. You
could also just clear the cache and that should work. If it doesn't a
quit and restart will always do the trick.

Jason