[OPEN-ILS-DEV] fedora14 SpiderMonkey vs TraceMonkey?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 10:26:33 EDT 2011

Grant Johnson <fgjohnson at lojoh.ca> wrote:

>Thanks Dan,
>Found it and will give it a shot.
>fedora14 unsupported one month fedora16 released. sigh...
>
>As we've discussed before (with rhel), for a target to be maintained
>there
>needs to be a commitment from somebody in the community.
>My chops aren't good enough.
>
>So going forward what does it look like - Debian and Ubuntu only?
>

>On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Grant:
>>
>> YAML isn't necessary - it's just optional.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > t/000readme.t ...... Failed 1/1 subtests
>> > t/001properties.t .. Can't load
>>
>'/home/opensrf/Evergreen-ILS-2.0.9/JavaScript-SpiderMonkey-0.20/blib/arch/auto/JavaScript/SpiderMonkey/SpiderMonkey.so'
>> for
>> > module JavaScript::SpiderMonkey: libjs.so: cannot open shared
>object
>> file: No such file or directory at /usr/lib64/perl5/DynaLoader.pm
>line 200.
>> > at t/001properties.t line 15
>>
>> This is your problem - I recently fixed it in master with commit
>> c17bef273e0 on September 10. Basically, libjs.so is built and
>> installed just fine, despite the copious number of warnings, but
>> 'ldconfig' needs to be run to tell the OS to add the library to its
>> dynamic linking cache. It goes back to the threaded/non-threaded
>> SpiderMonkey dance we did over the summer that meant that we could no
>> longer use the packaged js-devel on Fedora.
>>
>> Note that in about two months Fedora 14 will no longer be supported
>by
>> the Fedora project, which is why I've pulled mentions of it from
>> current Makefile.install.
>>
>> Dan

I'm keeping Fedora up to date with currently supported Fedora versions so that those running a Fedora desktop can have an easy Dec environment, but even most Fedora devs will suggest it's not a good distro for production servers due to the limited support lifetime of a given release.

We run Debian in production, so I personally can't justify regularly trying out CentOS or Scientific Linux.