[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Supercat and rss feeds

Whalen, Liam Liam.Whalen at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Oct 13 15:17:47 EDT 2011

> > The benefit of using OpenSearch, I hope, is that it will exclude records that do not have copies associated with them.  If that is true, then all I need to know is how to return a list of the most recent
>> additions to the catalogue via OpenSearch, and how to limit the results of to a specific format like Journals.  Does anyone know how to do that?

> Assuming EG 2.0 or later, ou wat to add "sort(create_date) #descending" (IIRC) to the query portion of the url.

Thanks for the tip, that let me know it was possible.  I've gotten a little farther.  Now I have the following OpenSearch string:

http://dev.catalogue.nrcan.gc.ca/opac/extras/opensearch/1.1/-/rss2-full?searchTerms=rock+fissures&searchType=keyword&count=50&searchSort=create_date&searchSortDir=desc

searchSort=create_date, and searchSortDir=desc let me get the newest records.  However, I now need to figure out how to use searchTerms to return all records.  I've tried setting searchTerms to an empty string, and I've tried omitting it from the URL, but I'm not sure what sort of results that is returning.  As well, I do not get the same number of records when using OpenSearch that I get through the catalogue.  In the above search I get over 500 results from the catalogue.  However, I have requested 50 items through the count option in the URL, but I get less than 50 returned.  Is OpenSearch supposed to act like the catalogue, or am I trying to make it do things it wasn't designed to do?

Liam

Natural Resources Canada Library / Bibliothèque de Ressources naturelles Canada
615 rue Booth Street, 121, Ottawa, ON, Canada
K1A 0E9
Telephone / Téléphone : 613-995-4180
lwhalen at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca <mailto:lwhalen at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca>
Web: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/library/ <http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/library/>