[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: EDI

Jonathan Field jonathan.field at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Oct 14 07:02:51 EDT 2011

Hello Tim,

Don't know if this helps you at all (or if Ingram's support it?), but,
we are developing the EDIfact QUOTE message for an Evergreen ccustomer
right now. So, the work-flow goes like this:-

1) Library supplies the book vendor with details of library policies
(that is, item types, locations, fund codes etc.)
2) Vendor loads these policies into their ordering system
3) Library orders books on Vendors web site and selects the appropriate
fund code, item type etc. online.
4) Vendor produces an EDI QUOTE message and sticks it on their FTP server
5) Evergreen picks up QUOTE message with edi_fetcher.pl and loads the
QUOTE in as a purchase order with associated bibliographic items.
6) Library review the PO next day (it gets added to the EDI messages
btw) and should be able to just approve it and then ....
7) Evergreen sends it back on the next run of edi_pusher.pl as an ORDER
message
8) Vendor delivers the goods!

I believe that in the US libraries tend to use 9XX ordering more than
EDI QUOTE? In the UK, the QUOTE message is used by all libraries doing
EDI and is well supported by book vendors.

The up side is that all of your ordering is done on the vendor web site
and you should just be checking the order in the LMS (all your POs are
done and funds allocated to copies etc.). The downside (and benefit of
9XX) is that EDI QUOTE doesn't really support the MARC21 record part
very well. As part of the message you get a very crude bibliographic
record with the core information but nothing else. This means you really
have a step 9) above which is "Library overlays the crude bib record
with a high quality one from a known source". Often book sellers in the
UK supply these alongside the EDI QUOTE message but it adds a bit of
complication to the work-flow.

Anyhow, work is on-going right now on this and we hope to be testing
with UK vendors over the next 2 months. All being well, we'll have some
code to submit back after that.

We already have QUOTE supported (and work-flow) available in Koha and it
is in live use in two places but there is still work to do on Evergreen.

Anyhow, don't know if this helps at all but QUOTE does support your
description of "enriched" data (such as the fund codes) and support for
multiple copies of an item.

Thanks
Jonathan

--