[OPEN-ILS-DEV] TPAC and 2.1.0

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Oct 21 09:31:04 EDT 2011

Quoting Martha Driscoll <driscoll at noblenet.org>:

> We expect to use the template toolkit catalog when we go live with
> Evergreen next May.  I had the template toolkit catalog running on a
> 2.1-RC2 training system, but can't run it now that I have upgraded
> to 2.1.0.  The wiki says that TPAC needs to be installed on master,
> so is there no way to run it on 2.1.0?

I am not sure on the answer to this one, since we've never really run
2.1.0 in any form. I do think tpac has had some changes lately that
make it incompatible with 2.1 for the most part.

> Anticipating that the answer is either 'no' or 'not very easily'
> then my next question is can I update my 2.1.0 installation to
> master?  Would I pull evergreen via git and then run the scripts in
> Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/upgrades that are greater than the highest
> version in config.upgrade_log?

Yes, that is pretty much what we do when we update. You might need to
take some extra steps if you're switching from PostgreSQL 9.0 to 9.1,
but Tom would know more about that than I.

> My primary goal is to provide a stable training system that will see
> heavy use soon.  It would be nice for users to see new development,
> especially the development sponsored by MassLNC, but at the same
> time I don't want to provide a system that may not be stable.

We do our best to keep master stable. We run it in production, after
all. The only really serious problem that we've had recently with an
upgrade was actually some code that I wrote which had not made it into
master, yet, and likely never will at this rate.

When we do an update we generally have no real problems.

There is another handy side effect of running from git. You can keep
your local configuration file modifications and customizations in
their own branches. We keep branches for our sip server configuration,
our MARC templates, etc. each in their own git branch. When we update
we make a new branch based on origin/master, and then merge in our
customization branches.

It works very well for us.

HtH,
Jason