[OPEN-ILS-DEV] bringing more developers into the fold

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Oct 25 17:20:05 EDT 2011

Greetings Developers,

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on developing some material that will
help get new developers up to speed on Evergreen so that we can expand the
pool of developers working on Evergreen. This is the primary focus of my
work in this final year of our IMLS grant.

I'd like to do this in a way that makes it easier for the new folks to find
what (and who) they need and also doesn't disrupt the rest of you from doing
what you are doing until it is appropriate to do so.

I've attached a document I put together based on information I could find on
the website.  If you have a chance to look it over so you can
correct/improve anything there, it would be much appreciated.  If there is
something wrong in this document, it is also probably wrong on the website
since that is where I pulled the info from.  So it would be nice to clean
that up.

I've received some questions from one potential new developer that I wanted
to pass through to this group so you could help me respond.  His questions
are likely questions that all new developers have so I'd like to ask your
help once so I can add it to my document (attached).  This will save your
time when the next new developer comes along and I'll also ensure that this
New Developer Starter Kit makes its way to the website as well.

Here are the questions:

1) Is there some kind of architectural overview showing the how various
pieces of Evergreen work together and where the coede for certain
functionality is located?

2)  Is there an explanation of the build system including any automated
testing components?

Also, FYI, we (the IMLS Grant Parnters) are looking at connecting these new
developers to little development projects as a way to get their feet wet.
 Each of the IMLS Grant partners have given me a short list of enhancements
that they are willing to pay for and which are fairly quick and simple.  The
new developers are each doing some initial research (downloading the code
and reading through the info I've provided as well as checking out the
website and other community resources) before they offer up a proposal for
one or more of the enhancements.

Once one of our libraries has contracted with a developer, the first step
will be for them to make contact with the developers via the IRC channel and
to get their project entered into Launchpad (if it isn't already there).
 And to offer to do the work of developing said enhancement.

Is there a different workflow that would work better for you?

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improving the attached document,
can answer the two questions above, and if you have feedback about our
proposed workflow for getting the new developers aboard smoothly.

Lori

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
Oversight Board & Communications Committee / Evergreen
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling