[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 2.1 Status and Blocking Bugs Request

Peters, Michael MRPeters at library.IN.gov
Thu Sep 1 08:58:00 EDT 2011

Good morning all!

After discussing this today with some colleagues, we'd like to also pose the question, is documentation for implementing 2.1 in a production environment complete?  Likely, it is since usually the clean install process is well documented.  However, sometimes the upgrade documentation/scripts have been incomplete at release time in the past, leaving those who aren't willing to do a totally fresh install hanging for a period of time.  In my opinion, I think documentation for both a clean install and an upgrade install must be tested and publicly available before a release can be considered.

I'm also concerned that new features in 2.1 haven't had any documentation or implementation instructions released.  A case like this was a problem for Evergreen Indiana when we upgraded to 2.0.4 in the spring.  We were given the impression that the upgrade was complete, in full, by our support vendor.  Several months later, when we began to test Acquisitions we discovered that EDI had never been configured or documented.  Quite simply, we had no idea that this was even something that needed to be configured because there was a lack of documentation.  It was only after a hint from a colleague who experienced the same confusion that we discovered there were missing pieces that hadn't been configured.

I'm concerned about releasing new major versions of the software, such as 2.1, before this documentation is complete.  For those who wish to live on the "bleeding edge", they can always utilize master or other branches from Git should they be unable to wait for an official public release.

Sincerely,
Michael Peters
Indiana State Library MIS | Inspire.IN.gov Helpdesk | Evergreen Indiana Helpdesk
office - 317.234.2128
email - mrpeters at library.in.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Berezansky
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:06 PM
To: Evergreen Development Discussion
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] 2.1 Status and Blocking Bugs Request

During the developer meeting today 2.1's status was discussed. The
following is what came of it:

Mike Rylander is working on a few last-minute fixes, as well as
creating launchpad bugs for tracking them.

EDI was discussed in that it has known issues with a lot of real-world
data. See bugs:

We did not come to a consensus on whether or not these issues should
be blocking the release of 2.1, and opted to push that question to the
dev list.

Should these issues be considered blocking for 2.1's release?

In addition, are there any other outstanding issues that anyone feels
should be blocking 2.1?

Outside of that, the upgrade script will need a final review, after
which it appears we would like to officially release 2.1.0, rather
than another release candidate.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium