[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Testing 2.1-2.2-beta1 upgrade script

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Apr 5 08:25:05 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> wrote:
> It seemed to be going well till I hit this and the rest of the script died
> out:
>
> psql:Evergreen/Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/version-upgrade/2.1-2.2-upgrade-db.sql:15328:
> ERROR:  cannot drop language plperl because other objects depend on it
> DETAIL:  function migration_tools.add_codabar_checkdigit(text) depends on
> language plperl
> function migration_tools.expand_barcode(text,text,integer,text,text) depends
> on language plperl
> HINT:  Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.
>
> So I suppose that I have to figure out which other custom functions (I think
> that one is an ESI migration_tools one?) exist that utilize plperl and
> change those before I can drop plperl from our Evergreen database.

I hit that overnight as well, and would recommend that we move the
DROP LANGUAGE statement outside of the transaction so that it doesn't
roll back all of the other work.

It seems likely that many sites will have added custom plperl
functions over the past few years and will hit this roadblock after
what can be a very long upgrade script (somewhere in the vicinity of
6-8 hours for us on our testing server), which in turn slows down the
testing & adoption process.