[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: Adding ONIX support and Evergreen acquisitions

Paul Waak ptwaak at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:28:02 EDT 2012

The changes in 2.3 are indeed saving me a lot of time. I am using git to
follow master and have picked them up. Thanks.

You have it right that ONIX files are not normally part of EDI for a
library. However, we are adding native ebook support to Evergreen and now
need to let publishers load their product catalogs (usually in ONIX instead
of MARC) into Evergreen's catalog. These product catalogs need to be linked
to the provider, and we do not have the staff to manage all this manually.
Incorporating it into acquisitions seems like a good place to begin since
there is already a place for it in EDIFACT, X12, and EDItX. (Incidentally,
I only plan to add X12 or EDItX support if I absolutely have to. The
differences at first glance make me uneasy about just using a stylesheet
transform.)

My two other big changes to Evergreen will be allowing automatic
provisioning for user accounts that are authenticated via SIP2/NCIP (with a
gigantic "Thank you!" to whoever added the authentication proxy) and
allowing calls to a DRM service, like Adobe Content Server, during
acquisition and circulation (ugh).

--
Paul Waak