[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Mon Aug 13 11:00:05 EDT 2012

Goood moorning Evergreeners!

As a fruit of our migration planning work, I present to you... the schematics to an internationalizable SSN-censorer!

Currently Evergreen only hides the sensitive letters from a us-standard SSN number. It seems to be that almost every nation has their own SSN-format. While we have been looking for ways to improve this handicap in Evergreen we have given great concern to make this modification as internationalizable as reasonable.
A challenge in designing a solution is the fact that even inside one installation, we can have SSNs from multiple SSN-formats.
In our case it seems to be that such cases are rare. Maybe <2% of our clientele has a SSN of other formats than Finnish (then Swedish or Russian, and fringe cases). I believe the case is same in the states as well. For this reason I am planning to have filtering done according to SSN-format relevancy.
We have a list of SSN-filters, and the top one is the most used one. If it won't match the given SSN, then we try the next relevant one, until a match is found or error is given to add a new filter.
Here are the more detailed steps to complete the task, in other words, the implementation plan.
http://193.65.112.189:8080/browse/EGDEV-28
The task is waiting for planning review and feedback from the community.

This functionality will be implemented by The Regional Library of Joensuu as a high priority modification during our migration period to Evergreen.

--
Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Open Library 2013