[OPEN-ILS-DEV] EG 2.3.beta2 this Friday

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:09:06 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bill Erickson <erickson at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:02:17AM -0400, Mike Rylander wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Bill Erickson <erickson at esilibrary.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm planning on cutting 2.3.beta2 this Friday 8/17.  Keep the bug fixes rolling!
>> >
>> > After that comes the 2.3.rc1 release candidate on August 31st.  I'm not anticipating an RC2, but we can certainly squeeze one in if necessary.
>> >
>> > <policy>
>> > How do we characterize bug fixes that are allowed to be merged between RC1 and GA?  I assume we should limit to showstoppers only?
>> > </policy>
>>
>> IMO (and likely debatable), we shouldn't cut RC until showstoppers are
>> in, and post-RC bug fixes should be limited to low-impact or
>> high-priority fixes.  Thoughts?
>
> I agree any showstoppers we are aware of should be addressed pronto, before any RC is cut (and ideally before beta2).
>
> I'm treating RC as "this is what you are getting, unless we find something truly messed up in there" ;).  It occurs to me the interval between RC1 and GA is fairly large, though, and there will be a (well intentioned) desire to fill that space with bug fixes.  Given that every bug fix is a potential new bug, though, I'm inclined to lean toward only allowing very high priority fixes.
>
> If it would help solidify that RC /is effectively/ GA, we could move the RC date up closer to the GA date to allow for a little longer beta bug fixing period.

I like the sound of that, personally ... as long, I suppose, as
there's sufficient (for some definition thereof) time time left for
general testing RC.  I don't know how that might be defined, though.
Is 1 week enough? 2?  2 weeks is nearly the same as the current plan,
though, so if the answer is 2 then there may not be much point in
changing it.