[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Automatic stemming in Evergreen

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:59:40 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 06:22:15AM -0400, Kathy Lussier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We've had difficulty finding records in our catalog due to the
>> automatic stemming that occurs when records are indexed in
>> Evergreen. As an example, a title on one of our summer readings
>> lists was "The Assist" by Neil Swidey. However, when users were
>> searching for "the assist" as a title search with the phrase
>> enclosed in quotations, they still had to page through several pages
>> of results before finding the title they needed. Many of the records
>> that ranked higher contained words like "assistance", "assistive",
>> "assisted", etc. because they were automatically stemmed at
>> indexing, and the stemmed version of the word (assist) was what was
>> stored in the index vector column. We've had many other examples
>> where this stemming has made it difficult to conduct searches.
>
> This particular example is quite a concern! I haven't noticed anything
> similar yet, since we moved to Evergreen 2.3ish last week, and nobody
> has brought a similar problem to my attention, but it might just be
> early days for us.

The parts of search relating to this haven't changed for 2.3, AFAIK.
Dan, were you thinking of something in particular that changed?

Relating particularly to this example, though, is the (now generally
unused) relevance adjustment code that targets exactly this problem by
boosting the score of (without restricting to) exact word matches.
One of the hopes with the "convert some stored procedures from perl or
plpgsql to C" GSoC project was to make that faster, but the expected
improvement didn't materialize quite as expected -- which, I want to
make clear, is not the fault of the student -- but I (and, it seems,
Dan, too, at least tangentially) will be looking at for
Evergreen.NEXT, along with other things like trigram indexing and some
other fun stuff.