[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Mon Aug 27 11:28:31 EDT 2012

Quoting Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com>:

> Storing SSNs unencrypted is a terrific mistake, in the US. Storing them at
> all is a Very Bad Thing (TM).
> Storing a hash that is evidence that a proper authority has seen the
> number, or just a boolean true, seems like enough.

This reply is not directed at Wolf in particular, but to the whole
discussion of the US SSN and its storage.

The SSN was intended to be used by the Social Security Administration
and that Administration only! Any other use of that number, including
by the IRS, is against the law that established US Social Security. of
course, when has the US Government ever followed its own law....

It *should* be perfectly harmless to store that number. In many cases,
many persons SSNs are a matter of public record for various reasons.

The flaw is not the storage of the SSN, but how that number is misused
in the US financial system.

The above also applies to drivers' license numbers. They should not
need to be secret, except for the stupidity of humans and
human-designed systems that assume those numbers are secure and unique
identifiers, which they are not. (As an example, I am the second
person to have my SSN. They are often recycled when people die.)

I hold SSN, DL# and passwords all in equal contempt as
"identification" measures. They fulfill no such purpose.

Stepping down from my soapbox, I see absolutely no reason for a US
library to store a patron's SSN. A drivers' license number, perhaps,
but not the SSN. My suggestion is to delete the field, and if someone
needs to track such an identifier then let them figure it out within
the bounds of their local law.

"I am not a unique identifier! I am a free man!" To paraphrase Patrick
McGoohan.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services