[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Pull request for Search Templates

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:43:43 EST 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM, James Fournie <james.fournie at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Mike, can you elaborate on what you're talking about for the benefit of
> Justin and anyone who doesn't know about this feature you speak of?   Maybe
> point to the relevant code bits?

Sure thing.

The first schema I'm thinking of are the older actor.usr_saved_search
table.  It's currently part of a stalled effort which was originally meant
to store the URLs of search results but, by addressing the query_type
constraint (in particular, turning the field into an enum and adding a "QP"
value to said enum), could be extended to store Query Parser search
strings, or even abstract QP objects (which are better for reconstituting a
UI).

There's also the actor.search_query, actior.search_filter_group and
actor.search_filter_group_entry tables, which are used in the KPAC, and are
available to the TPAC. Here I imagine one would make use of the
actor.search_query table with another table providing ownership or usage
information for automated UI building.

Both sections of the schema mentioned have middle-layer code that makes use
of them, primarily the TPAC and KPAC mod_perl code.

> It sounds like what Justin did is a useful feature.   I hate to see
> someone willing and eager to contribute get shut down so quickly, and I'd
> like to make it a bit easier for Justin to make a meaningful contribution.

I agree.  I don't want to shoot down the idea of staff-saved searches by
any means, but I would also encourage discussion in a more interactive
medium than the wiki.  An email (or several, if it's a complex topic)
containing the details would be much more effective, IMO, at pushing the
idea forward.

That said, by way of summary and comment, the sketch is for a client-local,
workstation-wide store of saved searches.  I didn't see any provision for
import/export, and the searches would presumably be available to any user
logging into the workstation.  Some of those points are features, some are
anti- or missing features, and some could be argued either way.  However,
the disadvantages to the local-storage route far outweigh the time savings
of avoiding the investment it takes to implement server-side storage.

For reference, the only things that we've intentionally kept client-local
are those things that are necessarily tied to either the hardware, such as
printer settings, or leverage local-only xulrunner features, such as
certain types of UI persistence.  The one other thing that I can recall
OTTOMH that is nominally local-only is receipt template storage, but those
are generally tied to a physical location, have an import/export mechanism
and can be overridden from the server if desired, and even with those
capabilities there is a general desire to move them into the database, I
believe.

Thanks, Justin and James,

--miker

> Justin, I'd just like to say thank you for making the effort to document
> what you're doing -- it looks like you've put a lot of thought into
> documenting this.  I'm not quite clear as to if you've written the code yet
> -- if not then please consider what Mike's said.  If you have code,
> generally it'd be helpful to publish a git branch and then someone else may
> be interested in adapting what you have to the framework that Mike's
> proposed.

~James